Hazard is anything that has the potential to cause harm. It leads to a negative consequence and poses danger to life and properties at any given time whether in offices or in our homes, it’s should not be treated with levity no matter how small the source of the hazard is. Wet floors are great sources of hazard both in our offices, homes and in our immediate environment and as such all hands must be on deck mop and make wet floors wherever we find them, in our kitchens, rooms, offices, corridors, children play grounds, our surrounding area and even high ways as it causes serious reduction to friction when brakes from our vehicle is applied which can lead to serious accident which can result to lost of life and property. Frankly speaking, the hazard Associated with wet floor can be over emphasize. We will go through some of them and also consider some of the ways we can prevent this hazard from our homes and offices.
Some of the hazard Associated with wet floor.
- Slip, trip and fall: Slips are the result of too little friction or a lack of traction between the footwear and the floor surface. A trip is the result of a foot striking or colliding with an object, which causes a loss in balance, and usually a fall. Studies show that 66% of falls occur on the same level as a result of slip or trip.
Employees, kids are mostly victims of this unfortunate incident of slip, trip and fall in our homes and offices which can lead to death or serious injury if not properly treated with best medical hands and equipment. All necessary measures must be put in place to avoid slip, trip and fall.
2. It makes brakes of vehicles ineffective: Friction is the force that opposes motion, that’s the reason why vehicles are designed with brakes in them to bring the vehicle to a halt in case of any eventuality. Whenever the road is wet with water or oily substance the brakes become defective and as such proper care must be taken to avoid the unexpected.
Preventive Measures To Curb Wet Floor.
Measure must be put in place to avoid this ugly occurrence from showing up as the saying goes all accidents are preventable. Using the appropriate tool for the job and doing it professionally by trained personnel.
Control measures during cleaning of wet floors Under section 19 of the 2005 Act, employers are required to carry out risk assessments and to record these in the Safety Statement. It is important that strict controls are implemented during wet-cleaning of floors. The risks from a wet, damp or drying floor should not be underestimated.
- Identification of the wet floor: The first thing is to identify the wet surface floor blocked it off from members of the family and office staff, environment or road. This should not be left for only a particular person or group of persons as when it comes to safety, it becomes everybody’s responsibility, when discovered action should be taken immediately.
- House keeping: There’s a saying that says “Cleanliness is next to Godliness”, not just that alone but it goes a long way to save both life and property. House keeping is everyone’s responsibility. No matter how highly placed, both small and great. As soon as identified, first action by the identifier should be taken before more hands are called.
Marking off the wet floor, informs employees, workers and visitors of the danger to e mop, bucket(put Link here to bucket page) or spill kit easily accessible. Inform your staff and place signs where this equipment is kept which reduces the chance of spills being neglected or not cleaned up by staff.
- Using the appropriate equipment: Squared peg in a round hole has done more harm than good across all profession and ethics. Using the right tool for the job will certainly brings about the desired results. To be efficient all necessary tools and equipment must be on ground at all times to curb any emergency to prevent escalation before it poses threat in our homes and offices.
We must do everything humanly possible to curb this hazardous menace in our homes, offices, immediate environments and our roads. It’s all our collective responsibility. There is a regular saying that goes thus “A stitch in time saves nigh”. We must do our best as individuals to do our best when necessary.